Friday, July 6, 2012

Last Night


Hey guys! Sitting here at dinner and I figured I would blog. A bunch of people haven’t felt well these past couple of days, me having some of the symptoms. This morning I went to hospice with Alec, Capri, and Dani Wiggs. We started out by washing the room windows, and one man liked his room full of Peruvian radio music. So Capri and I were dancing hardcore while we cleaned. Some of the volunteer nurses from Marquette called us all in to a room with a young adult patient that was unable to move from his bed. The nurses said that he loved to be sung to, so we sang a church choir song to him. I met a man named Felix who loved for his hand to be held while I talked to him. Alec tried out his rap music on Felix and he started to crack up laughing. I took him around the courtyard in his wheelchair and I started singing. I could see his head turn to face his ear towards my voice, so I started to sing louder. I asked him in Spanish, “Canta mas?” … which means sing more. He said, “Si!” I had such a good time with Felix, because even if we could not communicate, his smile showed us all how he felt. We currently are all in panic, scribbling on our Agape notes all over the facility. Agape notes are “touchy feelies,” quoted by Jackson. We all have 50 to write, I am 4 away from being finished, oh yeah. Just 5 minutes ago, about three quarters of the youth choir stood in front of the parish staff and the other guests to sing, “In My Own Little World”. George Heredia explained to the audience in Spanish what we were singing and why. IT WAS THE BEST THING YOU HAVE EVER HEARD. Shout out from Claire Gordon. Stu Smeck and Nate Bridge helped me a little to write this!   Love, Tess DeWulf

1 comment:

  1. Music is the universal language! Thanks for blogging, Tess. Blessings and safe travels to everyone, Elaine Heredia

    ReplyDelete