Sunday, July 1, 2012

Buenos Noches from Piura, Peru

After 28 hours worth of traveling, the end of our second day is coming to a close, and I have only had three hours of sleep. However, I am having the time of my life. Peruvians are some of the most welcoming and loving people I have ever met. When I first walked into Santisimo Sacrament, I was immediately embraced, kissed,and welcomed by everyone. This joyous greeting set the stage for a fantastic 2012 mission trip! This evening we went to the girls orphanage which houses girls who have been taken from dangerous or unhealthy homes. After pulling into the entrance, the girls swarmed the car with excitement to meet all of us. Each girl picked a youth member who they would spend the rest of the evening dancing and laughing with. Danielia chose me. Danielia showed me around the orphanage and even though she only spoke Spanish, we understood each other perfectly. A language barrier was not a hindrance to a new friendship. The girls then preceded to immerse us in the Peruvian culture by performing dances for us. There stamina was remarkable as they danced for minutes on end in bare feet. We thought the Macarena was long but not compared to their extraordinary dances. Between each performed dance, the youth group was invited to dance with their new friends and show our own unique moves. Our excursion to the orphanage is teaching me to cherish the luxuries that my family provides for me and I deeply wish I could share them with Danielia and the other girls. However, I am starting to learn that even small changes make a difference. The mission trip has only just begun, more memories and life changing experiences are still waiting to be discovered!

4 comments:

  1. It is so nice to read the blogs. Being this far away from your children is a scary experience as a parent. Instead of fretting over the various "what if" scenarios in my head, I have something much better to visualize: the youth group dancing with Puruvian children! I hope you are taking lots of pictures! My prayers and thoughts are with you all always! Love, Krysten Paynter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting! Everything sounds great so far (ok, other than the lack of sleep). Thanks for the descriptions both of what you are seeing and how you are feeling! Hope everyone got sleep and prayers for a good work day today as you learn to build with bamboo!
    P.S. Don't forget to put your name when you post!
    Gretchen Holt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you tell me who wrote this? I'm including some blog posts in the Desert Scroll. Thanks! -- Pam Selthun

    ReplyDelete