Thursday, July 15, 2010

Fred

Throughout my time in Denver, I’ve met numerous people who have changed my outlook on homelessness and how I should view/live my life. One man in particular, Fred, whom I met last night (7/14/’10) on our emersion. (Emersion = an activity where we took the role of a homeless person.) Fred is a left handed 35(almost 36) year old from Maryland who has been on the streets for a year and a half. His story is simply - he worked for Bank One who has been recently bought out by Chase, as a result, Fred lost his job. Over time, money was becoming scarce because he failed to do is finances correctly and save up money. He was never involved with drugs or alcohol. His dad became ill and was placed in a nursing home in Colorado Springs. He and his father communicate by phone every now and then, but we all know it’s not the same. [Please pray that one day, he’ll get to spend time with his father.] We approached him to purchase a copy of the Denver Times and we ended up striking up a conversation with him and he told us everything that I have just told you. We had many other conversations but there isn’t enough time or space to explain it all. In total, I think we talked to him for a good hour and a half. (We ran into him – not literally – three times.) I could attempt to explain and express how much this man has changed my outlook on life, but words will never, ever be able to explain it. I wish I could, but I simply cannot. If any of you see me or catch me under-appreciating life, or see me kind of down-and-out, just remind me of this amazing man or even bring up Leo (another incredible older gentleman I met.)
That is all for today, I’ll blog again soon… Hopefully.

Ariel Hanna ‘10

No comments:

Post a Comment